JUDY INC’S MAKEUP MAVEN SHARES WHAT’S IN HER MAKEUP BAG
As told to Plaid Magazine
Photos by Vincent Lions
“I used to draw a lot, mostly faces. I got into modeling as a teen, and started working with different photographers and makeup artists; that’s when I became fascinated with being on set and the whole creative process. When I decided to leave modeling and pursue another career I knew exactly what I wanted to do. I like to make people feel good about themselves. As a makeup artist you come in close contact with many people and you are the person that starts their day on set.
For my beauty routine I use Pure + Simple products. I follow all the steps: cleanser, toner, eye cream, moisturizer, [and an] exfoliator once per week. I occasionally use a moisture mask in the Winter.
For makeup I use minimal foundation. I use M.A.C Select Cover-up only to cover redness in areas where needed and M.A.C Select Sheer/Pressed Powder, [and] CoverGirl LashBlash Mascara – always two coats. I use a soft blush – M.A.C Sonic Chic Mineralize Blush in Dainty – and a pinky gloss, like Orgasm Lip Gloss from Nars, or Smith’s Rosebud Salve for a more natural lip. For a classic red I use Dubonnet from M.A.C.
I use a lot of M.A.C products, I think it’s a great artist-based brand. I also love the NARS line; their pigmentation is beautiful.”
Here are some of Shawna’s favourite kit products (plus a few tips!):
- Covergirl LashBlast Mascara. Always apply two coats – on the top only for an almond-shaped eye, and on top and bottom for a more rounded shape.
- Clinique Airbrush Concealer. I use as a replacement for under eye concealers; I find they wear well, and being as they have light reflecting ingredients, they brighten up the under eye area. For really dark under eye areas, I use M.A.C Select Cover-up and the Airbrush stick.
- M.A.C Mineralize Skinfinish Powders. These come in both blush and bronzy tones and are great on cheeks for that glowy skin finish.
- Bobbi Brown Long–Wear Gel Eyeliners for that ‘Lana Del Ray’ retro eyeliner look. This brand is great – they are definitely long-lasting.
- Smith’s Rosebud Salve is great on its own or with a lipstick. It has a slight pink tone, softens the lips, and isn’t sticky like most glosses.
- Tweezerman’s Slant Tweezer is my go-to eyebrow tool for shaping the brows.
- M.A.C’s 224 Brush is my favorite eyeshadow blending brush for smokey eyes.