OUR TOP FIVE TIPS FOR ACHIEVING YOUR PERFECT LOOK
Story by Robert Weir
Photos by Kris Steeves
Grooming: Robert Weir (Ford Artists)
Model: Bradley (Spot 6 Model Management)
There are so many products that are geared towards women to help them look their best; what can men do to look great? As a makeup artist and someone in the public eye, I know the difference a few simple tricks can make. Fall is a time of rejuvenation in the fashion world, so here are my top grooming tips to help keep you looking great into the new season.
1. Going into the autumn months, we begin to lose our beloved bronzed look. I am not a fan of tanning beds because of the obvious health risks, but there are great alternatives. A hint of self tanner is perfect for maintaining a bit of colour in the cooler months (but use self tanners sparingly for a more natural, subtle look). Try St. Tropez Tanning Essentials Self Tan Bronzing Mousse for a golden, not garish, glow.
2. Whether you shave it off or grow it long, hair can make a big statement. It’s important to have a good stylist or barber who understands your personal style and what suits your face, and also for you to have fun with your hairstyle. You can wear it tousled for everyday, and try a slick look for big occasions. Try Bumble and Bumble Hair Glue for a snazzy slicked style.
3. Men never want to look like they are wearing makeup, so the easiest way to put your best face forward is to have the healthiest skin possible. Most men know to use a face wash and moisturizer, but how many of you exfoliate on a regular basis? Using a face scrub can help to remove dead skin cells from the surface and speed up cell turnover. The end result is clearer, smoother, healthier skin; a good exfoliation before shaving also reduces ingrown hairs and prevents irritation. Try Laura Mercier Face Polish to do the trick.
4. Despite trying to do the best for our skin, there is always going to be the odd blemish that will surface, and dark circles under the eyes are a dead giveaway of all the partying you did over the summer. Luckily, one product can help you out with these problems – a light liquid concealer that matches your skin tone can lightly cover the redness of blemishes and brighten under the eye. Try Yves Saint Laurent Touche Éclat Concealer for a seamless skin match.
5. The power of a healthy smile can open so many doors. All of us know to brush at least twice a day and to floss as often as possible. Sometimes no matter how well we take care of our teeth, though, we don’t have that pearly white look. Years of drinking tea, coffee, wine and soda can take its toll. You can go to the dentist for a professional (and pricey) solution if you have an extreme case of discolouration, but for most of us, an at-home kit can really make a nice subtle difference. Try Crest whitening products to get a dazzling, healty smile – their product line is diverse and effective, ensuring you’ll find the brightening boost that works best for you.